Knights of Coalesce
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Knights of Coalesce

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

PvP it is a-changin...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Konorel
Furbolg
Furbolg
Konorel

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2006-05-18

PvP it is a-changin... Empty
PostSubject: PvP it is a-changin...   PvP it is a-changin... EmptyWed 16 Aug 2006 - 11:39

When the Burning Crusade comes out this year there will come with it some very interesting and in my opinion much needed changes to the PvP system. I have always found PvP to be fun but the honor grind is what killed it for me. I simply couldn't find the time to level up at a reasonable pace, grind faction rep for groups like AD, Timbermaw and CC as well as grind for PvP rank and rep in order to get some of the tastier rewards. Something had to give and so I left PvP by the wayside but with the expansion all that changes.

Blizzard will be dispensing with the PvP rank ladder altogether and instead honor will no longer decay but will be useable like a form of currency to purchase PvP reward items. It's unknown at this time what kind of points cost different items will have but this will allow the more casual players (such as myself) the opportunity to get the high level stuff eventually without having to quit our day job and grind in BGs 18 hours a day for several months. It does away with the rank grind altogether which I think is going to help enhance everyone's enjoyment of the game because I don't know if you ever notice but every time a new person hits GM they disappear from the game for months simply because they're burned out. The current PvP system has come under heavy criticism because of the absolutely insane grin needed to achieve anything worthwhile. This new system sounds interesting and I think could put the fun back in PvP and get a lot more people back into it.

The other change, or addition I should say, that has me interested is the PvP Arena Teams. It will function very much like a guild in that you will have a charter you need to get signed and it will have it's own team chat channel much like gchat. The plan right now is for arenas that will support 2v2, 3v3 and 5v5 PvP play and the teams you form can be as large as 2x the arena you compete in. Hence a 5v5 team can have 10 players on it, 3v3 has 6 etc. The arena system will be similar to the current ladder system in that teams will compete each week, standings will be released and updated much like the current ladder and it will have rewards on par with even some of the most epic PvE items. This has a great deal of potential I think for adding some much needed excitement and an air of team play to PvP that you previously only saw with honor farm teams and PvP guilds but it will also allow those who are put off by the new honor system in the BGs to still play PvP hardcore.

I'm looking forward to this stuff in the expansion personally. I'm already excited about the cross-realm BGs in the hopes that I no longer have to bum around Azeroth for 3 hours waiting for AV or AB to come up and I think that with the changes coming in the expansion PvP will become a major factor in my gameplay. So now that I've finished gushing lol what do you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Chickenwing
Turtle
Turtle
Chickenwing

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2006-06-17

PostSubject: Re: PvP it is a-changin...   PvP it is a-changin... EmptyWed 16 Aug 2006 - 15:54

Sweet, this does sound awesome. Where did you read/hear this at? Is it on the site under Burning Crusade? If so I didn't see it. Oh well, sounds pretty freakin awesome lol! jocolor
Back to top Go down
Dokortt
Furbolg
Furbolg
Dokortt

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2006-05-17

PostSubject: Re: PvP it is a-changin...   PvP it is a-changin... EmptyThu 17 Aug 2006 - 4:25

The new changes will revamp and improve the current pvp system which most know is flawed.

I like the ideas they are bringing in and Konorel you missed the World PVP where there will be strategic points the alliance and horde can compete for in order to take control of a tower/castle. Once obtained quests will be available for gaining honour and the horde have to take back the castle. This will sturggle in the Allerian environment where there is a clear population issue with too many alliance, however the idea is still good all the same.

My only concern would be that the current PVP system was designed to ensure people play the game and thus are hooked into the monthly renewal. Blizz need to do this again and thus are going to place the decent gear at a high level of honour so it takes a long time to purcahse.

The most impacting factor i believe is that if you can only play 11 times an evening and win all 11 battles, you will be consdiered a good group. Emphasis will no longer be dependant upon how often you play but how good you are.
Back to top Go down
Konorel
Furbolg
Furbolg
Konorel

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2006-05-18

PostSubject: Re: PvP it is a-changin...   PvP it is a-changin... EmptyThu 17 Aug 2006 - 8:56

To answer your question Chicken, I found it all on the wowwiki while reading up on random stuff during my lunch the other day. I referenced an article on Gamespot that is blocked at work for some reason but I'll try to link it this weekend maybe or something.

As for the PvP World Objectives, I honestly wasn't terribly impressed and I can't really say as to why, but that's why I really didn't mention them. There are only two of them, one in Silithus and one in EPL and they just sound...well I'm not sure how to put it. When I first heard about PvP World Objectives I was stoked because I thought to myself "Finally! They're going to place emphasis back on the WAR BETWEEN THE ALLIANCE AND HORDE" but instead we get this weak "spice war" type thing in Silithus that the more I read the more it seems like some weak rip-off of plot points in Dune and the tug-of-war type game with the towers in EPL. Granted, the towers objective is a bit closer to what I was expecting but really all it depends on is how many of each faction is flagged within a certain radius of a tower. Right now it seems to me all either faction would really have to do is flag and turtle near towers to get the buff and all and that just strikes me as lame.

But I'll wait and see next patch for the objectives. Jazzed about the cross-realm bgs though and I can't wait for the expansion changes to pvp because I think that right there is really going to help sell it more than anything because people will no longer get discouraged by the pain in the ass ladder system. It might not all be the best yet but its gratifying to see Blizzard finally taking the time to really improve what should be one of the most fun aspects of the game, what with this being World of WARcraft and all ;D
Back to top Go down
Dokortt
Furbolg
Furbolg
Dokortt

Number of posts : 151
Registration date : 2006-05-17

PostSubject: Re: PvP it is a-changin...   PvP it is a-changin... EmptyThu 30 Nov 2006 - 7:02

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=39684523&sid=1

A good article on what is happening and how we will work on getting our armour and gear from now on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: PvP it is a-changin...   PvP it is a-changin... Empty

Back to top Go down

PvP it is a-changin...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Knights of Coalesce :: PVP :: General Discussion-
Jump to: